Sunday, March 21, 2010

What is aToy GBA GPS?


aToy GBA GPS is an open source project that will try to implement a GPS tracking system + Bike computer in a Nintendo Game Boy Advance.

The picture above shows the ingredients of this DIY project:
  • Game Boy Micro (small version of the Game Boy Advance, AKA GBA)
  • MiniSD M3 perfect flash card, for using homebrew games in the GBA/GBM
  • Link cable (shown cut in half in the picture)
  • Custom Nintendo screwdriver (not really necessary, but just in case)
  • SKYLAB SKM53 GPS module (which I got from ctombaugh on eBay, excelent deal, BTW)
Another NMEA compatible GPS module working at 9600 bauds will also work (other baudrates could also be used with a simple code modification).

You may think that using a GBA is a bit outdated, but hey, it is what I got available.

You will be able to find the code for this project in the sourceforge page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/atoygbagps/
I will be posting all my progress in this blog so that it is easy to replicate/improve/fix. I might be redirecting my svn logs into this blog also, so that it is even easier to follow my changes

No comments:

Post a Comment